Moment Pro Camera app is my favourite third party camera app on the mobile. It has got full manual controls for photographers and filmmakers alike. It is available for both iPhone and Android devices. But since the beginning of 2020, the developers have stopped support for Android due to its excessive fragmentation, which is unfortunate. It gives me full control over ISO, shutter speed and exposure value. If you are a Moment Lens user like me, then it will allow you to choose the lens that you have mounted on the device.
Pro features for the photographer in me...
What I love about this app is that it allows me to control the exposure and framing just like I would on my Sony A7R, intuitively without having to search for my controls.
- Full manual controls - for Exposure, ISO, shutter speed, focus, and white balance
- RAW shooting - for full options during editing
- Live Histogram - to help nail your exposure every time
- Manual Focus - comes with focus peaking to give you full control
- RAW burst - an iOS only feature, that allows you to shoot in burst mode in RAW
- Slow Shutter - another iOS only feature, for those motion blurs and light trail shots
The filmmaker in me loves it too!
Recent updates have made this app into an all purpose camera app for photographers and filmmakers alike. The one thing missing is its ability to control gimbals from inside of the app. Hope they incorporate that in future updates.
Some of the features that I use to shoot video on this app are:
- Color profiles - the ability to choose from log, default or flat profiles
- Waveform monitor - to evaluate exposure across my shot
- RGB monitor - to be on top of my colour balance
- Multiple bitrates - that helps me shoot at a higher quality if need be
- Anamorphic support - if I am using Moment's Anamorphic lens for a cinematic look
I love those Zebra Stripes
Zebra patterns are a feature of DSLR cameras that tells you which part of the image is over exposed. I generally use this highlight warning to correct my exposure by adjusting my aperture or shutter speed. Having this available on my camera is amazing! So, now I can nail down a perfect exposure instead of second guessing my camera.
One for the long exposure lovers
I am a self confessed long exposure addict! I love those milky smooth waters and the streaks of fast moving clouds. I was super excited when Moment decided to include a slow shutter mode to the app. With this feature, I have everything I need in a camera app.
I have used many different camera apps across iPhone and Android. Currently, it is my go to app on the iPhone that gives me total DSLR-like control in the palm of my hand. Do remember to get a tripod if you are going to use the slow shutter option on this app. Your photos will be a bit blurry if not! Finally, you can choose which lens you want to use plus it de-squeezes your anamorphic footage while using the Moment Anamorphic lens.